Digital Commonwealth

Weymouth Public Libraries, Tufts Library

or
Weymouth Public Libraries, Tufts Library
The Tufts Library was founded in 1879, when the Town of Weymouth received bequests of money and land from Quincy Tufts and his sister Susannah, grandchildren of Weymouth physician, Dr. Cotton Tufts, for the establishment of a public library. Part of the bequest included two wooden buildings at the corner of Washington and Commercial Streets in Weymouth Landing. The lower floor of these buildings was set up as the library.