Digital Commonwealth

Lantern Slides

Perkins School for the Blind

or
Lantern slides are transparent photographic images (positives), mounted on glass plates. They are designed to fit into magic lantern projectors to enlarge images for easy viewing by a group of people. This collection contains 154 individual lantern slides from the following categories:

Perkins School for the Blind, 1850s-1930s: Images from the South Boston, Jamaica Plain, and Watertown campuses, building plans, students, educational activities, manual training, marketing projects, and school events.

Overbrook School for the Blind, 1850s-1930s: Collection of glass-plate lantern slides from the 1850s-1930s. Images are of the Overbrook School for the Blind in Philadelphia, PA. Perkins and Overbrook share a common history, namely in regards to Dr. Edward Ellis Allen who was the director of Overbrook, then the Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind, from 1890 to 1907, and was later the director of Perkins from 1907 to 1931.

Workshops for the Blind, 1850s-1930s: Images are of idustrial facilities and individuals who are blind engaged in work activities including publishing, sewing, piano tuning, caning, and manufacturing baskets, mops, and mattresses.

Schools and Organizations for the Blind, Lantern Slides, 1850s-1930s: Images are of buildings and grounds of national and international schools and training centers for the blind.

Rights and Permissions: All images in this collection are the property of Perkins School for the Blind. Use of these images requires written permission. For more information, please contact the Research Librarian at hayes.library@perkins.org.

Locations in this Collection: