Brockton's Golden Age of Theater: Brockton City Theatre Packets 1884-1922
Brockton enjoyed an active and rich theater life during the late nineteenth century into the early years of the twentieth century. The "crowning glory" of Main Street during this golden age was City Theatre. Boasting a house orchestra, the first theater electrically lit by an outside station whose theater lights were first pulled by Thomas Edison, and with a seating capacity of 1,400, this Moorish-styled theater with rococo carvings opened on October 17, 1884. Programs were published frequently, but the collection has many issues missing.