Digital Commonwealth

Lawrence, Mass. Engineering Department. Plans and associated papers

Lawrence Public Library

or
These plans were delivered to the Library from City Hall. Preceding the Engineering Department of today (2010), the original designation was a Commissioner of Streets. The first annual report was published in 1854, the first full year that Lawrence was a city. The Commissioner of Streets was responsible for streets: paving, watering, and general upkeep. He was also responsible for sewerage and sidewalks.

Arthur D. Marble became the first City Engineer in 1879. He was subservient to the Commissioner of Streets and sewers. In 1912, when the city charter changed, so too did the hierarchy. Paul Hannigan became the Director of Engineering with these departments under his supervision: Streets, Sewers, sidewalks, paving, street watering, water works, bridges, and the city engineer.

Locations in this Collection: