Digital Commonwealth

St. Mary’s High School, Lawrence, Mass.

Lawrence Public Library

or
In 1859, the first St. Mary’s School was a wood frame building for girls and was run by the Sisters of Notre Dame. The boys’ school was started in 1869. The Xaverian Brothers began teaching the older boys in the 1880s.

The original granite St. Mary’s Church became the second building for both Schools in 1879. This was St. Mary’s School until the building was destroyed by fire in 1967. St. Mary’s High School for girls began instruction in 1880 and closed in 1996. St. Mary’s Elementary School closed in 2011. Notre Dame Cristo Rey High School took over the high school portion of the building in 2004.
 

Locations in this Collection: