Digital Commonwealth

H. Flint Ranney Collection

Nantucket Historical Association Research Library

or
H. Flint Ranney (1935-2012) was born in New Jersey. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1956 and joined the U.S. Navy, serving as a gunnery division officer aboard two aircraft carriers in the Pacific. Upon leaving active duty in 1959, he worked at radio station KPFK in Los Angeles and at Spectra Sound recording studio in Hollywood. In 1965, he married Charron "Corky" McPherson and shortly after joined Reynolds and Company in Los Angeles as a stockbroker, rising to the position of office manager and then as Regional Commodity Manager for six offices in the southwest.

Flint had first visited Nantucket in 1935 at the age of three months and he continued to visit every summer. In 1977, the Ranney family moved permanently from California to Nantucket. He joined the Denby Real Estate office as a real estate broker and appraiser, taking took over the company in 1984. In 2007, Flint retired and turned management of the business over to two of his children.

Flint was involved in many island activities including serving as president of the Chamber of Commerce, the Rotary Club, and the Nantucket Historical Association. He served as an elected member of the Nantucket School Committee and the School Building Committee. Flint helped found the Friends of Nantucket Public Schools and served on many other public service initiatives and Town committees.

As a real estate appraiser, he wrote many newspaper and magazine articles. He was one of the first realtors to keep track of island property sales statistics for other real estate brokers and appraisers. A charter member of the Nantucket Association of Real Estate Brokers, he developed the island's original real estate listing service. In 1994, his brokerage was the first to have a website. This collection provides a photographic glimpse of Nantucket's real estate activity during the years 1978-2000.

Locations in this Collection: