Barre Historical Society

Barre Class Photos

Barre High School 1945
Detail from: Barre High School 1945
This collection of photographs primarily highlights the students, faculty, and staff of the former Barre High School from its construction in 1901--as a gift from benefactor Henry Woods, who also built the town library--to its closure in 1967. Class pictures, yearbook contents, and sports-team photos predominate. Other school-related photographs represent the population at Barre Center School, which served elementary school students (grades 1 through 8) in Barre Center from 1851 until its destruction by fire in 1965. Images may be differentiated by the age of the students and the construction of the buildings--Barre High School is an all-brick edifice, while Barre Center School was a white-clapboard wooden structure.

At the time the Barre Center School was razed in 1965, Barre had joined with three other towns two years earlier--Hubbardston, Oakham and Hardwick--to form School Union 63, which led to the construction of Quabbin Regional Jr./Sr. High School. That institution opened its door in September, 1967. In the late 1980s, the town of New Braintree was added to this regional school system. The former Barre High School is now known as the Henry Woods Municipal Office Building, which houses government offices for the Town of Barre.

Locations in this Collection: