West Bridgewater Public Library's Howard Seminary for Women photographs
The Howard Collegiate Institute began its classes on October 2, 1883 for girls and young women. Funds to start the school were provided by Capt. Benjamin B. Howard born in West Bridgewater on March 2, 1788. It became known as The Howard Seminary for Women. It was a separate enterprise as a private high school with buildings on the same campus as The Howard High School. Drury Hall and Packard Hall were buildings for this school. Howard Seminary was known as a wooden building 100 feet away from the Howard High School.