1. Mountain mocking bird, male. 2. 3. Varied thrush, male & female : Orpheus montanus, Townsend. Turdus nævius, Gm. c.1 v.4 plate 369
- 1. Mountain mocking bird, male. 2. 3. Varied thrush, male & female : Orpheus montanus, Townsend. Turdus nævius, Gm. c.1 v.4 plate 369
- Audubon, John James, 1785-1851
- Havell, Robert, 1793-1878
- Name on Item:
Drawn from nature by J. J. Audubon F.R.S. F.L.S. Engraved, printed & coloured by R. Havell, 1837.
Boston Public Library
- Collection (local):
The Birds of America: From Original Drawings by John James Audubon
The Birds of America : from Original Drawings by John James Audubon -- Appleton copy
- 1 print : multiple processes, including etching, aquatint, engraving and hand coloring ; sheet 97 x 65 cm
No known copyright restrictions.
No known restrictions on use.
Published by the author
- Notes (ownership):
Samuel Appleton, an original subscriber to the Birds of America died in July 1853 at which time this copy of the folio came into the possession of his nephew, Thomas G. Appleton. For further information, consult Fries, Waldemar H. "The double elephant folio: the story of Audubon's Birds of America."
- Notes (acquisition):
Gift; Thomas G. Appleton; 1855
- Notes (date):
Date from item.
- Notes (citation):
Fries, Waldemar H. "The double elephant folio: the story of Audubon's Birds of America." American Library Association, 1973. Reprint. Amherst, Massachusetts: Zenadia Publishing Inc., 2006. Low, Susanne M. "An index and guide to Audubon's Birds of America." New York: Abbeville Press, 1988.
Title from item. For more information regarding the modern identification of the species depicted in these prints, consult Low, Susanne M, "An index and guide to Audubon's Birds of America."
From: The birds of America : from original drawings, volume 4 / by John James Audubon. Each plate numbered twice: the first number, from 1 to 87 in Arabic numerals, identifies the set. The second number, from 1 to 435 in Roman numerals, appears in the upper right, identifying the individual plate. Item was issued in set number 74 with plate number CCCLXIX (369).
- Call #:
Cab.81.15.1 v.4 (no longer used)