Li sonetti e canzon e capitoli del eccellentissimo Cosmico nobile Paduano
- Li sonetti e canzon e capitoli del eccellentissimo Cosmico nobile Paduano
- Title (alt.):
Sonetti, canzoni, capitoli
A collection of 171 sonnets, canzoni, and capitoli by Niccolò Lelio Cosmico. This manuscript was copied in 1537 by a scribe who signs his name "Hieronymo da la Motta." This scribe may be identified with Cardinal Girolamo Aleandro (1480-1542). Consult curatorial file for complete list of contents.
- Cosmico, Niccolò Lelio, 1420-1500
- Girolamo, da la Motta, active 16th century
- Former owner:
- De Marco, Giovanni, active 20th century
- Former owner:
- Govi, Fabrizio
- Former owner:
- Enluminures (Firm)
Boston Public Library
Rare Books Department
- Collection (local):
Medieval and Early Renaissance Manuscripts (Collection of Distinction)
- 103 leaves : paper ; 200 x 147 mm, bound to 21 cm
No known copyright restrictions.
No known restrictions on use.
- Place of origin:
- Table of Contents:
1. fol. 1r-96r: 171 poems. Begins "Illustre ecclesa et singular Madonna / ..." ends "Il lampeggiar de begliocchi sereni / ... e risaldarla apresso."
2. fol. 96v-98r: blank.
3. fol. 98r-103r: alphabetical index of poems in the volume titled "Tabula di tutta l'opera."
4. fol. 103r: colophon. "Finisce li Sonetti e Canzon e Capituli del Eccellentissimo Cosmico nobile Paduano nouamente scriti per mi Hieronymo da la Motta .adi. VIIII de Aprile .M. DXXXVII."
5. fol. 103v: blank.
Title and date from colophon on fol. 103r (see contents note)
Origin: Copied in Italy by one Hieronymo da la Motta on April 9, 1537 (see colophon). Based on his name, this scribe is possibly identifiable as Cardinal Girolamo Aleandro (1480-1542).
- Notes (ownership):
Provenance: Later inscriptions on fol. 103v: "Io Ciro" and "Signor mio Patre." From the library of Gianni De Marco, of Geneva, with his embossed stamp on the modern front flyleaf. Alga (2003) describes the present manuscript as having formerly been in the De Marco collection. Later to Govi Rare Books.
- Notes (acquisition):
Immediate source of acquisition: Purchased from Les Enluminures, Chicago, in July, 2022.
Purchase; Les Enluminures, Chicago; 20220728; 2022.58.1.
- Notes (date):
This date is inferred.
- Notes (object):
Collation: Paper, with watermark showing a cardinal's hat, fol. i (later paper) + 103 + i (later paper) ; 1⁶ 2¹⁰ 3⁶ 4¹⁰ 5⁶ 6¹⁰ 7⁶ 8¹⁰ 9⁶ 10¹⁰ 11⁶ 12⁸⁺¹(first leaf a singleton) 13⁸ ; leaves unsigned, foliated in contemporary brown ink, these numbers used here for reference.
Layout: Single column, approximately 24 lines per page. Caligraphic initials set off into margins. Ruled in plummet. Written area: 180 x 9 x 79 mm.
Script: Written in a humanist cursive in brown ink.
Binding: Recased in an early limp vellum wallet binding apparently taken from another book; textblock resewn and hinged into the binding via the modern paper flyleaves. Housed in a maroon cloth box.
- Notes (bibliography):
Bibliography: Alga, S., ed. N. L. Cosmico, Le Cancion, Turin, 2003 (see pp. xiii-xiv, and pp. 103-104)
- Notes (language):
- Call #:
RARE BKS MS q Med.287