The digital images found in this online collection were taken from photographs housed in the East Bridgewater Public Library's Historical Room. These images feature area homes, farms, businesses, churches and other landmarks from East Bridgewater's past. The detailed captions on the images... more
This collection contains items that describe life in Eastham, Massachusetts. Items were donated to the Historical Society by Eastham residents.
Edgar Scott (1857-1940) was a photographer and printer in the Amherst and Northampton areas. He was born on Martha’s Vineyard and, as an Amherst resident, worked in a local hat factory. He took up photography in retirement and was an originator of the picture postcard. He specialized in... more
Edgar Sutton Dorr (1854-1937) was a Boston engineer who worked for the Boston Sewer Department in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, eventually becoming the chief engineer of the sewer department in 1891. Dorr's father was Edward Reed Dorr and his mother was Eliza Ann Pitman. He... more
Raised on Long Island, Ed Judice embarked on a path in photography at the age of 13 when he took a job sweeping floors in a local photo studio. After picking up work photographing locally and a stint in the army, he moved to New York city, Judice began doing commercial work for ad... more
The Edwin B. Worthen Collection documents life in Lexington, Massachusetts from its earliest settlement through the mid-20th century. The materials were collected by Edwin B. Worthen (1879-1956), his son Edwin B. Worthen, Jr. (1913-1976), and his daughter-in-law, Anita P. Worthen (1913-2008),... more
Edwin Hale Lincoln was born in Westminster, Massachusetts in 1848; he eventually resided in the Berkshires. In the 1880s, his work in photographing yachts using the newly invented dry plate method led to commissions in estate photography.His experience as a 14-year-old Civil War drummer boy led... more
This collection consists of items from the Elbridge Kingsley collection hosted by Forbes Library. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
Presented here is Eliot Church, which was located at the corner of Centre and Church Streets in Newton Corner. It was a Congregational Trinitarian church organized on July 1, 1845. The City of Newton owns a wealth of historic materials that speak to the community's social, cultural and... more
This collection consists of items from the Elizabeth Capell recipe book collection hosted by Boston College University Libraries. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
This collection consists of items from the Elizabeth Hayward collection of Ursuline Academy materials collection hosted by Boston College University Libraries. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
Presented here are items that illustrate the early years in the history of the College of Our Lady of the Elms (originally Our Lady of the Elms Academy, popularly known as Elms College), from 1899 to 1928. The academy, named on August 2, 1899, was co-founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph (SSJ);... more
Presented here are letters, personal memorabilia, and photographs that represent the founding and early history of the College of Our Lady of the Elms (Elms College) from 1928 to 1950. After receiving a charter from The Commonwealth of Massachusetts to confer degrees, Elms College became a... more
Presented here are items that exhibit the history of the College of Our Lady of the Elms (Elms College) from 1950 to 1979. Bishop Christopher J. Weldon became the college's second president in 1949, and during the next three decades, Elms developed undergraduate programs in nursing, business... more
Presented here are items that exhibit the history of the College of Our Lady of the Elms (Elms College) through the photos, memorabilia, correspondence, transcribed speeches, and miscellaneous documents of its ten presidents: Bishop Thomas O'Leary, First President: 1928-1949; Bishop Christopher... more
Presented here are items that exhibit the history of the College of Our Lady of the Elms (Elms College) from 1979 to 2013. Sr. Mary A. Dooley became the sixth college president in 1979, and with the help of the Springfield Diocese, the college was able to raise $750,000 to match a $250,000... more
In 1982, Eloise A. Brière received a grant from the Massachusetts Foundation for Humanities to conduct a series of oral histories with French Americans in Massachusetts. A noted scholar of Francophone communities, Brière interviewed 44 first and second generation immigrants of varied... more
239. Emerson Collection
A significant gift to the Longmeadow Historical Society many years ago was a very large collection of glass negatives that are known as the Emerson Collection. These negatives, some more than a century old, represent the efforts of one photographer -- a Longmeadow resident, Paesiello Emerson --... more
Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) was born in Amherst, Massachusetts, where she lived for the rest of her life. Her family was intimately involved in the life of Amherst College from its founding until as recently as 1956 when inherited family papers were donated to the College by Millicent Todd... more