This collection consists of items from the La Alianza Hispana Records collection hosted by Northeastern University Libraries. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
One of five villages comprising the western Massachusetts town of Montague, Lake Pleasant was founded by the New England Spiritualist Campmeeting Association in 1870 as a rustic summer resort. Formally incorporated in 1879 under the guidance of Henry A. Buddington and Joseph Beals, Lake Pleasant... more
Incorporated in 1653, Lancaster is the oldest town in Worcester County and the earliest permanent settlement in the central part of the state. It is located in the beautiful Nashua Valley, and its center is near the "Meeting of the Waters," where the north and south branches of the Nashua... more
Henry Stedman Nourse (1831-1903) was the guiding intelligence behind the development of the Lancaster Collection, for which he left an endowment in his will. The various scrapbooks of local source material that he complied provide a wealth of information not available elsewhere. Aside from his... more
The Lane/Mead Boston Maritime Collection holds many items that capture, reflect, and document the industrial development and history of the Port of Boston. It contains material from various entities connected with the Port of Boston Harbor Shipping Industry, and many of its photographs were... more
This collection consists of items from the Langdon family papers (MS040) collection hosted by Historic New England. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
Presented here is a selection of lantern slides from the Newton photographs collection.The City of Newton owns a wealth of historic materials that speak to the community’s social, cultural and governmental past. These materials reflect the civic life of and provide insight into Newton from the... more
Lantern slides are transparent photographic images (positives), mounted on glass plates. They are designed to fit into magic lantern projectors to enlarge images for easy viewing by a group of people. This collection contains 154 individual lantern slides from the following... more
This collection consists of items from the Lantern slides collection (PC007) collection hosted by Historic New England. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
This collection includes portraits, photos of textiles, personal items, and selected writings of Laura Bridgman from 1841 to 1889 at the Perkins Institution for the Blind, South Boston (now Perkins School for the Blind, Watertown, Massachusetts). We are grateful to Dartmouth College Rauner... more
This collection consists of items from the Laura Maria Barr photographic collection (PC014) collection hosted by Historic New England. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
This collection consists of items from the Law Department Records collection hosted by City of Boston Archives. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
This collection is composed of a variety of printed materials -- annual reports, announcements, programs, and one paper bag printed with a solicitation for donations of food for Thanksgiving.
A native of Ontario, Lawrence D. Yeomans was working in New York when he volunteered for service in the U.S. Army Signal Corps during the First World War. For eighteen months, Yeomans served as a chauffeur with the Signal Corps in France, driving senior officers around Paris and to... more
Football started as a school team in 1881; baseball started as early as 1887; basketball in 1926. Lawrence High School’s first football team played Phillips on Oct. 8, 1881 (Lawrence lost). In those days the manager (not a coach) would travel to the town that he wanted the team to play and they... more
In 1847, the first 17 high school students were taught on the first floor of the Oliver School. The first high school building was built in 1867. By the 1890s, the School Committee was considering a new building for the high school. 310 students were housed in a building meant for 200. In 1896,... more
The Lawrence History Center Photograph Collection contains photographs from 1850 to present, which chronicle the history of the people and places of Lawrence, Massachusetts.
The Lawrence redevelopment of the late 1960s included a section of mostly residential properties in an area north of the high school and the common. The neighborhood chosen was bound from White to Lawrence streets and ran from Haverhill Street just west of the high school to Maple Street. The... more
In 1850, three years after Lawrence’s incorporation as a town, the three selectmen (chosen every March) functioned as both a Board of Health and overseers of the poor. Later works performed by the Board of Health were undertaken by the fire and streets departments, expenses being drawn from an... more
The Lawrence tornado, called the “Great Cyclone,” struck South Lawrence at 9:10 to 9:15 AM on Saturday, July 26, 1890. It took about two minutes to pass through any point. Damages were estimated at about $60,000. Eight people were killed and 65 were injured. That July morning was oppressively... more