This collection consists of items from the C. G. Sargent's Sons collection (CC016) collection hosted by Historic New England. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
A legal scholar and pacifist, Caleb Foote was born in Cambridge, Mass., on March 26, 1917, the son of a Unitarian minister and Quaker mother. Earning degrees in history from Harvard (AB 1939) and economics from Columbia (MA 1941), Foote was hired by the Fellowship of Reconciliation to organize... more
The Cambridge Photo Morgue Collection contains black-and-white prints taken by newspaper photographers to illustrate stories regarding the city of Cambridge. Images in this collection represent a wide breadth of topics including protests, political figures, buildings, and city projects, thus... more
This set of wood plaques honors soldiers from Cambridge, Mass. who died in World War I. The plaques were dedicated in 1928 by Edward W. Quinn, Mayor (1918-1929) and put on display in the War Memorial Athletic Facility in Cambridge, Mass. Each plaque bears an image of the solider on a copper... more
This collection consists of items from the Camp Wapello, Friendship, Maine collection (CC015) collection hosted by Historic New England. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
7. Campus Life
This collection contains photographs collected by the Massachusetts College of Art and Design Archive from approximately 1875-1975. The photographs are of campus life and include images of students, faculty, and campus buildings.
Founded in 1778, Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts, is one of the oldest boarding schools in the United States. The Archives and Special Collections collects, preserves, organizes, and provides access to records of the school, rare books, and other historical materials. This digital... more
The town of South Hadley was settled in 1727 near the Great Falls, a 53-foot drop in the Connecticut River. The South Hadley Canal was completed in 1795 and allowed boats to bypass the falls and transport goods to Western Massachusetts. It was the first commercially navigable canal in the United... more
The Canton Historical Commission was appointed by the Canton Board of Selectmen circa 1964 and its members elected Edward D. Galvin to serve as Chair. The group decided to photograph a wide variety of buildings and landmarks to document what the town looked like in 1965, as Canton was then going... more