You searched for: Institution Lawrence Public Library Remove constraint Institution: Lawrence Public Library
The image has a bookplate at the lower right hand corner that reads “Presented by George P. Farrell Bookseller.” Besides the bookplate, in the lower right-hand corner, there is a label attached below the image that reads “Broadway new Essex Street looking north about 1860.” The image shows... more
This designation was introduced after the war when the monuments of the Gettysburg Battlefield were being erected. Some historians have argued that the battle was the turning point of the war and that this was the place that represented the Confederacy's last major offensive operation in the... more
This collection of negatives came with some remnants of the sleeves that originally held the negatives. There is no sign of the name of the photographer. Two sleeves had dates (1907 and 1909). All the negatives are glass with the exception of number 31, which was possibly cellulose acetate.... more
The Great New England Hurricane of 1938 was one of the most destructive and powerful storms ever to strike southern New England. This system developed in the far eastern Atlantic, near the Cape Verde Islands on September 4. It made a 12-day journey across the Atlantic and up the eastern seaboard... more
35. James Regan
Augustine “Gussie” D. Regan was born in 1898 in Lawrence, Mass. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Dennis F. Regan. He died November 7, 1918 at Latimni, just before the Armistice was called. He was a corporal in Company K of 23rd Infantry. His friends, the “West End Boys,” enlisted together, July... more
This collection contains one photograph of the steamer Empire State docked at City Wharf, Newburyport, Mass., on August 27, 1886. John Deacy donated it to the Lawrence Public Library. The photograph was used in the book “Lawrence in the Gilded Age.”
37. John J. Murphy
This collection contains one hand-colored copy of a photograph of John J. Murphy at the corner of Lawrence and Essex streets, Lawrence, Mass., in 1870. He is driving a hay wagon pulled by a team of oxen.
This collection contains five photographs donated by John McCann. The photographs are of military personnel or veterans organizations.
This collection contains two photographs of stores in Lawrence, Massachusetts in the 1870s. They were donated by Kenneth Kerwin.
The Lawrence British Club was founded in 1912 with John Holden as president, John Stephenson as vice president, Joseph Moss as treasurer, and James Radcliffe as clerk. The club built its own facility at 80 Cambridge Street in South Lawrence. The club is still standing.