You searched for: Institution Lawrence Public Library Remove constraint Institution: Lawrence Public Library
Artemas W. Stearns was born March 11, 1816 in Hill, NH. At age 11, he was “bound” to a Bridgewater, NH farmer. For his services, he would receive clothing and board and $100 at age 21. At 16, he bought himself out of the contract. He then went on to work in mills in Nashua, Lowell, and Methuen.... more
The collection contains items from a large scrapbook of advertisements. Pictures of the old masters are on the recto side of the items, while the advertisements are on the verso. The pages are black and the advertisements are hand-lettered in many colors with colored illustrations pasted on.
This collection consists of one black-and-white aerial photograph of South Lawrence. The center point of the image is the Wetherbee School, named after Emily G. Wetherbee who was a teacher at Lawrence High School and a poet. Other locations include the Broadway Bridge and Dam, USWOCO Mills, and... more
This collection contains black and white aerial photographs. They are all roughly one meter square. They are contact prints possibly taken by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Many local people with historical knowledge have looked at the images and felt the photos were taken in the 1950s,... more
Alfred I. Earle was born in Haverhill, Massachusetts August 28, 1864 to Joseph M. and Susan Jane Earle. He moved to Lawrence, Massachusetts and worked in a music store for 30 years. He was a pianist and also played other musical instruments. He wrote military and religious music. He died in May... more
The American Turners is a national organization founded in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1848 by German immigrants. Our motto, "A Sound Mind in a Sound Body," explains the purpose of the American Turners. We are a family organization, encouraging people of all ages to be mentally and physically... more
Evening classes for working students started in 1859. They were run by the City Mission and taught by volunteers. By 1869, there were 300 pupils from 9 nations. In 1870, the Lawrence School committee took over responsibility for running the Evening School. At that time, a school for women and... more
These materials were used in support of a public program.
This collection is composed of eight photographs of the Arlington Mills located on Broadway in both Lawrence and Methuen, Massachusetts. One image is an exterior view, seven are interior shots of various work areas in the mill.
This collection is composed of photographs from the book “Art Works of Lawrence and Vicinity” published by W. H. Parish Publishing Co. in 1893.
The Order of St. Augustine was founded by Augustine himself in the 5th century AD. The order was based on a code of practical Christian life based on the Gospel precepts of charity, love of God and neighbor, and of submissiveness to one’s spiritual and temporal guides and rulers. By the end of... more
The Ayer Mill was one of a number of American Woolen Company mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts. The mill was constructed by William Wood in 1909, during a period of expansion of the industry. It was located on the south side of the Merrimack River across Union Street from the mammoth Wood Mill... more
The New England League was a mid-level league in American minor league baseball that played sporadically in four of the six New England states (Vermont and Connecticut excepted) between 1885 and 1949. They styled themselves the Lawrences, the Blues, the Haverhills, and so on. After 1901, the... more
These photographs were a gift of Bernard Sullivan. They depict the workers engaged in building the Ayer Mill chimney and the finished chimney.
15. Bob Dziadosz
Various Polish organizations planned the celebration of the life of Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski, Revolutionary War hero, at the time of the 150th anniversary of his death. Saturday October 12, 1929, the Polish groups joined the Columbus Day parade, which was preceded by a solemn high... more
This collection consists of seven black-and-white photographs of bridges constructed by the Boston Bridge Works, along with a plate showing 11 cross-sections of sewers.
These materials were used in support of a public program.
18. David Burke
This collection consists of one photograph of David Burke, of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, and Jack Lynch, Prime Minister of Ireland. The photograph was taken in 1972 at an International Ancient Order of Hibernians meeting in Dublin, Ireland.
19. Donovan Park
This is an 11x14 color photograph. It is an aerial view of the park, which is located on Andover Street in South Lawrence. The park is named after Thomas Stephen Donovan, U.S.N. corpsman, who was killed in action in 1967 in Vietnam.
The three photographs in this collection were a gift to the library from a Miss Elsie Marsden, 18 School St., Lawrence.
In 1818, the Essex Agricultural Society was officially granted a charter on June 12th of that year. The goal of the fledgling Society, formed by a group of "practical farmers" who first met on February 16, 1818, was "to promote and improve the agricultural interests of farmers and others in... more
The Reverend James T. O’Reilly was born in Lansingburgh, New York on May 1, 1851. He attended Villanova College in 1866, graduating with honors in 1871. During his years of study, in 1868, he enrolled in the novitiate of the Augustinian Order. He was ordained a priest on March 15, 1874. His... more
The Lawrence textile workers strike of 1912 began January 12th and ended March 14 of that year. 27,000 workers were affected and the cost would be figured at around $3,000,000 in lost wages, revenue, extra expense in policing, and harm to the general business community. 500 people were arrested... more
The Merrimack River reached its peak at 3:00 AM on April 20th 1933. A flood during 1927 was actually about a half a foot higher and the flood that would follow in 1936 was much more destructive.
This collection consists of 11 photographs of Lawrence, Massachusetts and its environs at/or around 1903. The pictures were photographed, developed, and matted by Forrest Hinckley.
Just after the turn of the 20th century, new theaters began to spring up, some in converted older buildings, most as new theaters. At first, the silent film program also included vaudeville shows or celebrities like John L. Sullivan or Helen Keller. At first, Toomey & Demara (Thomas F.... more
J. Philip Dowd and his partner, Arthur J. Buckley, ran a small real estate and insurance brokerage firm on Essex Street in Lawrence, Massachusetts, from the late 1940s until Dowd’s death in 1977. It was called Buckley & Dowd Real Estate and Insurance. Their office was on the third floor of... more
These two photographs were given to the Lawrence Public Library in memory of Anna C. and Fred H. Sargent. Each photograph has been encapsulated and mounted on gray stock.
29. Gary Keating
This collection contains one group-portrait photograph of the 1911 class of Wetherbee School in Lawrence, Mass.
This collection contains one photograph of a hot-air balloon being launched by Geo. E. Greenleaf in Lawrence, Mass. on July 4, 1890.
The image has a bookplate at the lower right hand corner that reads “Presented by George P. Farrell Bookseller.” Besides the bookplate, in the lower right-hand corner, there is a label attached below the image that reads “Broadway new Essex Street looking north about 1860.” The image shows... more
This designation was introduced after the war when the monuments of the Gettysburg Battlefield were being erected. Some historians have argued that the battle was the turning point of the war and that this was the place that represented the Confederacy's last major offensive operation in the... more
This collection of negatives came with some remnants of the sleeves that originally held the negatives. There is no sign of the name of the photographer. Two sleeves had dates (1907 and 1909). All the negatives are glass with the exception of number 31, which was possibly cellulose acetate.... more
The Great New England Hurricane of 1938 was one of the most destructive and powerful storms ever to strike southern New England. This system developed in the far eastern Atlantic, near the Cape Verde Islands on September 4. It made a 12-day journey across the Atlantic and up the eastern seaboard... more
35. James Regan
Augustine “Gussie” D. Regan was born in 1898 in Lawrence, Mass. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Dennis F. Regan. He died November 7, 1918 at Latimni, just before the Armistice was called. He was a corporal in Company K of 23rd Infantry. His friends, the “West End Boys,” enlisted together, July... more
This collection contains one photograph of the steamer Empire State docked at City Wharf, Newburyport, Mass., on August 27, 1886. John Deacy donated it to the Lawrence Public Library. The photograph was used in the book “Lawrence in the Gilded Age.”
37. John J. Murphy
This collection contains one hand-colored copy of a photograph of John J. Murphy at the corner of Lawrence and Essex streets, Lawrence, Mass., in 1870. He is driving a hay wagon pulled by a team of oxen.
This collection contains five photographs donated by John McCann. The photographs are of military personnel or veterans organizations.
This collection contains two photographs of stores in Lawrence, Massachusetts in the 1870s. They were donated by Kenneth Kerwin.
The Lawrence British Club was founded in 1912 with John Holden as president, John Stephenson as vice president, Joseph Moss as treasurer, and James Radcliffe as clerk. The club built its own facility at 80 Cambridge Street in South Lawrence. The club is still standing.
This collection is composed of a variety of printed materials -- annual reports, announcements, programs, and one paper bag printed with a solicitation for donations of food for Thanksgiving.
Football started as a school team in 1881; baseball started as early as 1887; basketball in 1926. Lawrence High School’s first football team played Phillips on Oct. 8, 1881 (Lawrence lost). In those days the manager (not a coach) would travel to the town that he wanted the team to play and they... more
In 1847, the first 17 high school students were taught on the first floor of the Oliver School. The first high school building was built in 1867. By the 1890s, the School Committee was considering a new building for the high school. 310 students were housed in a building meant for 200. In 1896,... more
The Lawrence redevelopment of the late 1960s included a section of mostly residential properties in an area north of the high school and the common. The neighborhood chosen was bound from White to Lawrence streets and ran from Haverhill Street just west of the high school to Maple Street. The... more
Urban renewal may be characterized as a process of conserving, rehabilitating, or clearing and reconstructing parts of a city to preserve or modernize the physical environment or to adapt districts to entirely new purposes or uses. This process was made necessary by the continued disintegration... more
In 1850, three years after Lawrence’s incorporation as a town, the three selectmen (chosen every March) functioned as both a Board of Health and overseers of the poor. Later works performed by the Board of Health were undertaken by the fire and streets departments, expenses being drawn from an... more
The Lawrence tornado, called the “Great Cyclone,” struck South Lawrence at 9:10 to 9:15 AM on Saturday, July 26, 1890. It took about two minutes to pass through any point. Damages were estimated at about $60,000. Eight people were killed and 65 were injured. That July morning was oppressively... more
Preceding the Engineering Department of today (2010), the original designation was a Commissioner of Streets. The first annual report was published in 1854, the first full year that Lawrence was a city. The Commissioner of Streets was responsible for streets--paving, watering, and general... more
The material in this collection came into the Lawrence Public Library from Lawrence City Hall over a number of months at the beginning of 2009. These sewer plans are bound in twelve volumes measuring 66 x 53 cm. Each plan is hand drawn and lettered. They show the date they were accepted. Later... more
The material in this collection came into the library from Lawrence City Hall. These street plans are bound in seven volumes measuring 66 x 53 cm. Each plan is hand drawn and lettered. They show the date they were accepted. Later additions are also dated. Some of the original drawings and... more