Historical Background For nearly five decades, Anne Sullivan was Helen Keller's teacher, friend, and constant companion. This collection contains portraits of Sullivan, images of her with Helen Keller and other images and documents that pertain to her life. Anne Sullivan was born in April 1866... more
In the late 1890s, the family of William Lloyd Garrison, along with others closely involved in the anti-slavery movement, presented Boston Public Library with a major gathering of correspondence, documents, and other original material relating to the abolitionist cause from 1832 until after the... more
Appleton Farms, located in Hamilton and Ipswich Massachusetts, is the oldest continuously operating farm in America. Established in 1636 by Samuel Appleton, the farm is among the most influential in America’s agricultural history. The Appleton Family Papers document the evolution of New England... more
This collection holds late 19th century photographs as well as engravings of 17th and 18th century buildings in Eastern Massachusetts. The mounted photographs and engravings were compiled by the Liberty Tree Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (D. A. R.) and consist of homes,... more
This collection holds hundreds of digitized objects from the Archives & Special Collections of Amherst College. The criteria for selecting materials for digitization from Archives & Special Collections are based on the materials' scholarly and cultural significance, the impact of... more
This collection consists of items from the Archives for Women in Medicine collection hosted by Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine). Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
Represented are photographs of Arlington, Massachusetts. The photographic images depict mainly people, property, buildings, monuments & statues, views, and scenes of town life, during the years, c. 1885 – 1992.
29. Arlington Mills
This collection is composed of eight photographs of the Arlington Mills located on Broadway in both Lawrence and Methuen, Massachusetts. One image is an exterior view, seven are interior shots of various work areas in the mill.
This collection is composed of photographs from the book “Art Works of Lawrence and Vicinity” published by W. H. Parish Publishing Co. in 1893.
Arthur Griffin was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts on September 12, 1903. Originally trained to be an illustrator, in 1929 he picked up his first camera -- a second-hand folding Brownie -- and thus began a passion that would last a lifetime. By the mid-1930's, Arthur Griffin had become the... more
Arthur Mange taught in the Biology Department at University of Massachusetts Amherst for 31 years before retiring in 1995. A co-author of numerous works in human genetics, Mange served on the chair of the Conservation Committee in Amherst, and currently serves on the Burnett Gallery... more
The City of Newton owns a wealth of historic materials that speak to the community's social, cultural, and governmental past. These materials reflect the civic life of and provide insight into Newton from the 19th through the early 20th century, a time when Newton was transforming from... more
This collection consists of items from the Artwork and Artifacts collection hosted by Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine). Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.
The Ayer Mill was one of a number of American Woolen Company mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts. The mill was constructed by William Wood in 1909, during a period of expansion of the industry. It was located on the south side of the Merrimack River across Union Street from the mammoth Wood Mill... more
A long-time member of the English Department at the University of Albany, Barbara Rotundo was a 1942 graduate in economics at Mount Holyoke College. After the death of her husband, Joseph in 1953, Rotundo became one of the first female faculty members at Union College, and after earning... more
This collection of photographs primarily highlights the students, faculty, and staff of the former Barre High School from its construction in 1901--as a gift from benefactor Henry Woods, who also built the town library--to its closure in 1967. Class pictures, yearbook contents, and sports-team... more
The New England League was a mid-level league in American minor league baseball that played sporadically in four of the six New England states (Vermont and Connecticut excepted) between 1885 and 1949. They styled themselves the Lawrences, the Blues, the Haverhills, and so on. After 1901, the... more