The history of the Abbot and Phillips Academies in images and documents.
The Abbot Academy Collection primarily consists of material relating to the administrative functions of the Academy. It includes material of the trustees, treasurer, and other administrative offices. The collection also includes Abbot Academy memorabilia and student-created work ranging from the... more
The collection contains items from a large scrapbook of advertisements. Pictures of the old masters are on the recto side of the items, while the advertisements are on the verso. The pages are black and the advertisements are hand-lettered in many colors with colored illustrations pasted on.
Alphonse Legros (1837-1911) was a French painter, etcher, sculptor, and medallist. Born in Dijon in 1851, he went to Paris to study, took up etching in 1855, and in 1857 exhibited for the first time at the annual Paris Salon. In 1863, with the encouragement of the American artist James Abbott... more
This collection is from the contents of vertical files in the Annisquam Historical Society. Annisquam, a village in Gloucester, Cape Ann, Massachusetts, has its historical society based in the old firehouse, Deluge 8. The building and its contents are under the aegis of the Annisquam... more
In the late 1890s, the family of William Lloyd Garrison, along with others closely involved in the anti-slavery movement, presented Boston Public Library with a major gathering of correspondence, documents, and other original material relating to the abolitionist cause from 1832 until after the... more
Appleton Farms, located in Hamilton and Ipswich Massachusetts, is the oldest continuously operating farm in America. Established in 1636 by Samuel Appleton, the farm is among the most influential in America’s agricultural history. The Appleton Family Papers document the evolution of New England... more
The bookmatch was patented in the 1890s by John Pusey, a Pennsylvania patent lawyer, who sold the patent outright to the Diamond Match Company in 1896. Soon after the sale, the bookmatch became hugely popular as an advertising giveaway and the first crudely printed example of its use appeared in... more
The Boston Pictorial Archive is one of the largest distinct collections of images related to Boston held by a public institution and the essential resource for Boston architectural, social, and neighborhood history. It includes more than 6,000 images on paper representing the visual history of... more
This collection of broadside advertisements from the Boston Theatre date from the 1856-1857 theatrical season. The theatre, located at 539 Washington Street, opened in 1854 with seating for over 3,000 patrons. The venue hosted not only theatrical productions but also grand opera, ballet,... more
This collection contains photographs, documents, and monographs from the early history (late 19th century to mid-20th century) of Faulkner Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts. Contents include the founding Faulkner family, the Faulkner Hospital Training School for Nurses (later known as the... more
Brockton enjoyed an active and rich theater life during the late nineteenth century into the early years of the twentieth century. The "crowning glory" of Main Street during this golden age was City Theatre. Boasting a house orchestra, the first theater electrically lit by an outside station... more
Represented here are postcards and photographs that mainly depict views of Brookline from the late 1800s through the early 1900s. The core of the photograph collection is made up of photographs that were donated to the library in the late 1920s by Town Clerk Edward W. Baker.
The Brookline Public Library Manuscript Collection consists of collected papers and documents related to the town of Brookline, including family papers, letters, deeds, wills, account books, political and military history, church and school documents, and various miscellaneous articles.
This set of wood plaques honors soldiers from Cambridge, Mass. who died in World War I. The plaques were dedicated in 1928 by Edward W. Quinn, Mayor (1918-1929) and put on display in the War Memorial Athletic Facility in Cambridge, Mass. Each plaque bears an image of the solider on a copper... more
This collection consists of items from the Carmen A. Pola Papers collection hosted by Northeastern University Libraries. Information about the items has been provided by the holding institution so that they may be included in Digital Commonwealth.