Digital Commonwealth

Ayer Mill Spinning Department

Lawrence Public Library

or
The Ayer Mill was one of a number of American Woolen Company mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts. The mill was constructed by William Wood in 1909, during a period of expansion of the industry. It was located on the south side of the Merrimack River across Union Street from the mammoth Wood Mill and connected by an underground tunnel. It was named for Wood's father-in-law, Frederick Ayer. The grand opening was Oct. 3, 1910, when Mr. Ayer had the honor of switching on the grand clock in the tower.

Employees of the Ayer Mill as well as other mills often socialized together and planned events like two excursions to Canobie Lake Amusement Park located in Salem, New Hampshire.

This collection consists of two panorama photographs. One reads "First annual outing Ayer Mill Spinning Dept. Aug. 6, 1933." The other reads "3rd annual outing Ayer Mill Spinning Dept. Aug. 17, 1935." Both images were taken by Saunders Studio.

Locations in this Collection: