Watertown Arsenal (Mass.).; Army Materials Research Office.; Army Materials and Mechanics Research Center (U.S.).; Materials Technology Laboratory; . U.S. Army Research Laboratory.; Map Watertown Arsenal.;
(Drawing) Birds-eye artist's view of the Arsenal grounds, circa 1862, looking south and east. The drawing is attributed to Lieutenant J.P. Farley. The quadrangle is easily identified and north of the North Storehouse, is the temporary smith shop used in the Civil War. To the left of the drawing in the southwest corner of the arsenal, barely visible the double frame non-commissioned officers' quarters (Building 123). Near it stood the small Greek Revival laboratory, to the east of which was the U-shaped laboratories on the site of Building 312. After the Civil War, it was disassembled and reused elsewhere. Close by was the stable and the Buildings 37, 313 and 43 standing in parallel row. To the east of the quadrangle stood building 51 and north of it was a wooden building which burned in 1898. Tall evergreen trees are in the foreground and indications of plowed land. According to a 1870 report, "very little was produced except without great labor." Principal fruits were apples and pears.
Watertown Free Public Library
Management Restrictions apply. See application form at http://watertownlib.org/research/historic-watertown/photographs
“Watertown Arsenal,” Digital Commonwealth , accessed March 10, 2014, http://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/items/show/53474.