Watertown Arsenal (Mass.).; Army Materials Research Office.; Army Materials and Mechanics Research Center (U.S.).; Materials Technology Laboratory; . U.S. Army Research Laboratory.; U.S. officers barracks.;
Barracks/Officers' Club, 1905. In 1905 A.B. Murdough, a Watertown contractor and builder, completed Building 121 which was the barracks for seventy-five men. The two story brick and wooden structure is 122 feet by 45 feet and originally cost $37,500. This building proved to be too expensive for the budget. The cast iron balustrade was substituted with a wooden one and the use of other more costly materials were eliminated. It shows the classical revival with Renaissance-inspired arched brick loggia, Palladian window and other classic details. In 1930's, the north squad room on the second floor was made into a gymnasium with indirect lighting. The south squad room was renovated for use as a dance hall for the Watertown Arsenal Employees Association and also served as an officers' club.
Watertown Free Public Library
Management Restrictions apply. See application form at http://watertownlib.org/research/historic-watertown/photographs
“Watertown Arsenal,” Digital Commonwealth , accessed March 9, 2014, http://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/items/show/53462.