Abbey Hall Groundbreaking, 1950
Abbey Hall Groundbreaking, 1950
Abbey Hall; Abbey-Appleton Halls; Springfield College; Springfield College--Buildings; Springfield College--Presidents; Springfield College--Trustees;
Groundbreakings; Dedications; Dormitories; Gill, Emily Abbey; Doggett, Laurence Locke, 1861-1957; Limbert, Paul M.; Appleton, Julius; Cheney, William; Seaman, Jane; Morgan, Phillip; Booth, Richard; Atwood, Dave; Simpson, Edward; Libby, Lester; Mober, Richard;
A recording of the groundbreaking ceremony on July 20, 1950, of Springfield College's first women's dormitory, Abbey Hall. The recording features an introduction by Dean Cheney, a speech by President Limbert, a tribute to Mrs. Emily Abbey Gill as well as comments by members of the Board of Trustees. On April 24th, 1934 Springfield College accepted a gift from Mrs. Emily F. Abbey Gill to erect a women’s dormitory, in anticipation of Springfield College accepting undergraduate women into the college. The college at the time accepted a few women in special undergraduate and graduate programs. The college continued to increase the number of women enrolled as undergraduate and graduate students, so in 1949 Mrs. Emily F. Abbey Gill donated a further $150,000 to finance the much needed women’s residency. Finally, on June 10th, 1950, Springfield College voted to inaugurate a regular undergraduate program for women, officially ending its status as an all men's school since its founding in 1885. On July 20th, 1950 the ground breaking ceremony was held for the new dormitory. Emily F. Abbey Gill served as a member of the college corporation, but died on April 24th, 1950. After her death, the college suggested that the new dormitory be named Abbey Hall in honor of her dream of a women’s program at Springfield. The corner stone was laid on January 1th 1951 and in September of that year Abbey Hall was ready for occupancy. The formal dedication took place on May 10th, 1952, after the building was fully furnished and the interior decoration was completed. Today Abbey Hall is part of Abbey-Appleton Halls (added in 1953), a co-educational dormitory.
The original recording of the ceremony was on a vinyl record. These files are the digital copies created of each side before they were discarded. It was discarded because of the record was in very poor shape as is evident from the sound quality.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.
2 files (sides of vinyl record)
“Abbey Hall Groundbreaking, 1950,” Digital Commonwealth , accessed May 25, 2013, http://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/items/show/13014.